A WALK ON THE GRAND UNION

On the first cool morning we've had since the start of this 'heat wave' Hannah and I travelled to the Grand Union Canal in hope of a cool walk along the famous route and a pub lunch at the Grand Junction, as its one of those spots I've driven past countless times but never had the pleasure of attending. Thankfully, its now been ticked off the list. Just a shame it wasn't the best experience - seriously, why is good pub food so hard to get right?
We rambled along the river, enjoying the boats, watching the fishermen attempting to snag huge carp lazily floating just below the surface, almost in jest of their efforts and chatted to my parents about the complexities of canal boats and the locks they frequent so regularly whilst travelling. 

Its a very interesting lifestyle, with a simple approach that promotes sustainable living in a low stress environment, with most people growing their own veggies and producing power thanks to photovoltaic panels mounted on the roofs of their boats. It's a Primal Living dream, and something I would love to do.My parents have told Hannah and I about the shop boats, travelling up and down the canals, selling their wares and I can now say I've had the pleasure of seeing one - The Candy Boat. She was moored up about half way through our walk selling home made fudge and classic sweets aplenty, we of course had to indulge and support something so perfect, leaving with two packs of fudge: Maple & Pecan and Coffee Cream. Very tasty, but far too sweet for our subtle taste buds.
I feel I could get into this Canal Boat hobby and I'm already looking forward to visiting my parents on their boat in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment