#PYOandPie AT PETERLEY MANOR FARM

Last Sunday Hannah and I collected the 'Londoners' and headed to Peterley Manor Farm in search of pick-your-own fruit for our next adventure: #PYOandPie

I soon found myself in fields I spent many years of my childhood exploring whilst collecting fresh produce through the approved 'pick one, eat one' method, a method each and every child adopts when picking fruit straight from the source. This of course ends in sticky fingers and red smears masking smiling faces. A fond memory, not forgotten.

Thankfully, these days I can appreciate the hard work that goes into growing fresh produce and the 'pick one, eat one' method didn't seem quite so appealing. I felt the need to recognise all this hard work spread before me, in the form of delicious raspberries & strawberries patiently waiting to be picked. Of course I enjoyed a few as we went, that is part of the fun after all!

We slowly filled our punnets, discussing the finer points of collecting berries and recipes we could whip up in the afternoon. I really love the sweet achievement of finding a large batch of strawberries hidden below the leaves, just waiting to be found.

Ultimately, I think Hannah summed it up best in one word: 'therapeutic'.

If you've never picked your own food, please do. It comes so naturally and instantly that its almost shocking, like a long lost skill we all know and simple need to tap into when the chance comes. It makes me think of simpler times and of hunting and gathering we've sadly lost to modern times.
Thanks to a few hours picking we'd filled enough punnets to pursue our baking plans that afternoon. Those plans? Giulia's Strawberry & Raspberry Tart seemed like the perfect fit and we all pitched in to bring the recipe together. A team effort for sure!



P.S - If you're smart you'll notice some of these photos are from a visit Hannah and I took together before #PYOandPie. A scouting trip if you will!

2 comments:

  1. Really beautiful photos, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I really did that much for the pie! Except washing the dishes :) Great photo!

    ReplyDelete